The original exterior remains very much the same with exception of the changes in size and color of the window glass,
first from smaller, clear panes to larger ones of a white and yellow marbleized effect, then to the present ones of colonial glass.
The building once stood even with the street. But after many years, the street wore down from the effects of wagons,
buggy wheels, and horse shoes. It was later graded down, even more, and the front steps and eventually the walls were built.
The sanctuary was originally entered on the north and south by two doors. Aisles ran north and south between these doors.
The two small rooms on the east and west of the present narthex were once saddle rooms. The preacher stood in an oval
shaped recess reached by steps on either side. From there he looked out upon the congregation and above their
heads to an octagonal clock. The choir sat in the southwest “Amen Corner.” Behind the sanctuary on the south
was one large room used for Sunday School. From the wide back door, there was one wide step to the ground.
A beautiful chandelier hung from the center of the sanctuary ceiling and oil burning brass lamps swung on
brackets from the side walls. Two large pot bellied stoves furnished heat. Teenaged boys pumped bellows of the small organ
that was moved from time to time to a different position in the room to encourage more of the congregation to sing.
Significant remodeling was undertaken in 1913 and again in 1949 when the Sunday School rooms and recreation rooms were added.
If you peek inside the saddle room today, no longer will you find rows of saddles expectantly awaiting departing worshippers.
More than likely, you will see rows of neatly stacked boxes and lines of freshly pressed clothing waiting to be sold in
our annual yard sale held every October to finance various mission projects. The pot bellied stove has been replaced by
central heat and air; the little pump organ has been replaced by our Zimmer 7 1/2 ranks pipe organ.
The belfry to this day contains the original church bell which was paid
for by the efforts of the Ladies Aid Society. Every Sunday, one of the
children rings this bell to signify the time of worship.
The Manse on the east Church lawn was completed after being built on the installment plan.
Major remodeling under supervision of Mr. Frank Jarnigan resulted in many changes
such as the elevation of the floor, ceiling beams, light fixtures and many others.
The name of the Womans Group was changed to Womans Auxiliary,
which in 1928 became known as The Women of the Church.
The name of the church was changed form The Presbyterian Church at Mossy Creek
to The First Presbyterian Church of Jefferson City.
The Sunday School and recreation addition was started and completed in 1949.
Mr. James Zirkle, then Clerk of the Session, was the first elected Commissioner of Holston
Presbytery from this church to attend the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in
the United States.
The west wall of the church grounds and significant landscaping was reworked.
A new manse was built at the intersection of Church and Eastview Streets.